Stephanie Alexander’s crunchy mushroom chips
Served with a tangy yoghurt dip, Stephanie Alexander’s crunchy mushroom chips make for a delicious appetiser. Give this easy recipe a go next time you’re entertaining - your friends and family are sure to love them!
6 as a starter
- 1/2 cup (75g) plain flour
- 1 cup (250ml) buttermilk
- 1 cup (75g) panko breadcrumbs
- 500g Coles Australian White Cup Mushrooms, thickly sliced
- Olive oil or vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
- 1 cup (280g) natural plain yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp finely chopped mint
- 2 tsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 120°C. Place the flour in a shallow bowl. Season. Place the buttermilk and breadcrumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip mushroom slices in the flour, then in the buttermilk. Add to the breadcrumbs and turn to coat. Place on a baking tray.
Heat enough oil in a deep frying pan to come 1cm up the side of the pan. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook the mushroom, in batches, for 2-3 mins each side or until golden brown and crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Place in the oven to keep warm.
To make the yoghurt dip, combine the yoghurt, garlic, mint and parsley in a small bowl. Season.
Arrange the mushroom chips on a serving plate. Serve with the yoghurt dip.