Sweet potato soup with chilli sambal
A classic winter warmer gets an irresistible makeover in this creamy sweet potato soup. It’s made in the slow cooker and topped with a zesty chilli sambal for a perfect finish.
Note: + cooling time
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbs finely grated ginger
- 1/4 cup (70g) smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbs sambal oelek or chilli sauce
- 2 tbs kecap manis
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 3 gold sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 2cm pieces
- 400ml coconut milk
- 60g pkt baby spinach leaves
- 1 long green chilli, seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (75g) shredded coconut
- 1 lime, rind finely grated, juiced
Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 mins or until onion softens. Transfer to a slow cooker.
Add peanut butter, sambal oelek or chilli sauce, kecap manis, fish sauce, sweet potato, coconut milk and 3 cups (750ml) water to the slow cooker. Cover. Cook for 2 1/2 hours on high (or 5 hours on low) or until the sweet potato is tender. Turn off the slow cooker. Set aside to cool slightly. Use a stick blender to carefully blend the soup until smooth.
To make the chilli sambal, place the chilli, coconut, lime rind and lime juice in a food processor and process until finely chopped.
Divide the soup among serving bowls. Top with the spinach and sprinkle with chilli sambal to serve.