Tex-Mex pulled pork with smoky slaw
Looking to shake up taco night? Give our Tex-Mex pulled pork a go. It’s the perfect combination of rich, tender spiced meat and creamy, crunchy slaw.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2kg Coles Australian Pork Shoulder Roast, fat trimmed, cut into 5cm pieces
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup (55g) brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (80ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp Texan spice mix
- 400g can black beans, rinsed, drained
- Flour tortillas, warmed, to serve
- 2 corn cobs, husks and silk removed
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs lime juice
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 x 200g pkts Coles Kitchen Australian Coleslaw
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook pork, in 2 batches, for 1-2 mins or until lightly browned. Transfer to a slow cooker. Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Cook, stirring, for 1 min or until onion softens slightly. Transfer to the slow cooker with the tomato, sugar, vinegar, cumin and half the spice mix. Season. Cover and cook for 4 hours on high (or 8 hours on low) or until the pork is very tender.
Meanwhile, to make the smoky slaw, heat a chargrill over medium-high heat. Cook the corn, turning, for 8 mins or until lightly charred and tender. Cool slightly. Use a small serrated knife to cut down sides of the cobs to release the kernels. Combine oil, lime juice, vinegar and cumin in a bowl. Add the coleslaw and corn. Season. Toss to combine.
Use 2 forks to coarsely shred the pork. Add the beans and stir through the sauce until well combined. Sprinkle with the remaining spice mix.
Serve the pork mixture with tortillas and the smoky slaw.