Tiramisu fan? Add this decadent cake to your menu. It's great if you're short on time but want to wow the guests.
Note: + 15 mins cooling time
- 1/4 cup (10g) instant coffee powder
- 1/2 cup (125ml) boiling water
- 1/2 cup (110g) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) marsala wine or Kahlua coffee liqueur
- 500g mascarpone
- 1 cup (250ml) thickened cream
- 1 1/2 x 450g pkts Coles Bakery Unfilled Double Sponge Cake
- Cocoa powder, to dust
Combine the coffee and water in a small saucepan. Stir until the coffee dissolves. Add the sugar and wine or liqueur and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 3 mins or until the syrup thickens. Remove from heat and set aside for 15 mins to cool.
Use an electric mixer to whisk the mascarpone, cream and half the coffee syrup in a bowl until soft peaks form.
Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Brush evenly with one-third of the remaining coffee syrup. Place one-third of the mascarpone mixture in a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle. Pipe evenly over the cake.
Continue layering with remaining cake layers, coffee syrup and mascarpone mixture. Dust with cocoa powder. Serve immediately.