Veggie monster tart
The little ones will love this fun Halloween idea. Ask the kids to arrange the veggies over the pastry base and decorate the baked tart with cheese eyes.
Note: + cooling time
- 2 sheets puff pastry, just thawed
- 1 Coles Australian Free Range Egg, lightly whisked
- 1/4 cup (65g) basil pesto
- 2 bunches Dutch carrots, scrubbed, trimmed, or 400g baby carrots, peeled, halved lengthways
- 2 bunches asparagus, woody ends trimmed
- 1 cheese slice
- 1 burger cheese slice
- Black writing icing, to decorate
Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Cut 1 pastry sheet in half crossways. Attach 1 half to the edge of the whole pastry sheet to make a rectangle. Cut the remaining pastry half into 1cm-wide strips. Arrange the strips around the edge of the pastry rectangle to make a border. Lightly brush with egg.
Spread the pesto over the pastry rectangle inside the border. Arrange the carrots and asparagus over the pesto. Bake for 25-30 mins or until the pastry is golden brown and puffed and the vegetables are tender. Set aside to cool slightly.
Cut 1cm and 2cm discs from the cheese slices. Arrange over the tart and decorate with writing icing to make eyes.