White bean stew with polenta dumplings
Filled with polenta dumplings, this white bean stew is sure to fill you up – and warm you up.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 400g Cucina Matese Passata
- 2 tbs chopped rosemary
- 2 2/3 cups (400g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (170g) polenta (cornmeal)
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan
- 120g butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) milk
- 1/3 cup (25g) finely grated parmesan, extra
Heat half the oil in a 6-cup (1.5L) ovenproof saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until almost tender. Stir in the beans, tomato, passata and rosemary. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 40 mins or until liquid reduces slightly. Season.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180°C. Combine the flour, polenta, parmesan, butter and milk in a bowl. Season. Divide into 12 portions. Roll each portion into a ball and arrange around the edge of the bean mixture in the pan. Sprinkle with extra parmesan.
Bake for 20 mins or until dumplings are golden brown and cooked through.
Serve with pepitas and rosemary sprigs