Yiayia’s fasolada (bean soup)
From Yiayia Next Door, this homemade Greek-style bean soup is the ultimate comfort food. Serve it with black olives and crusty bread for a warming meal.
Note: + overnight soaking time
- 3 cups (600g) dried white beans (such as butter beans)
- 1 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bullhorn chilli or red capsicum, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/2 leek, pale section only, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (80ml) olive oil
- 1 tbs sea salt flakes
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 8 cups (2L) boiling water
Place beans in a bowl and cover with cold water. Set aside overnight to soak.
Drain beans and transfer to a large saucepan. Add onion, chilli or capsicum, leek, oil, salt, parsley and boiling water. Place over high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, for 30 mins or until beans are tender and the soup thickens slightly.
Divide the soup evenly among serving bowls.
Swap me: To save time, you can use three 400g cans of cannellini beans instead of the dried white beans. If you do, omit overnight soaking and reduce cooking time to 10 minutes.