Zucchini and carrot cake
Want a baking project that won't break the bank? This veggie-packed cake is a delicious solution.
Note: + cooling time
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) brown sugar
- 1 cup coarsely grated zucchini
- 1 cup coarsely grated carrot
- 1/2 cup (55g) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable or canola oil
- 4 eggs, lightly whisked
- 250g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 50g butter, softened
- 1 cup (160g) icing sugar mixture
- 1 lemon, zested, juiced
- 1/4 cup (25g) walnuts, extra
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base and sides of a 10cm x 22cm loaf pan with baking paper, allowing the sides to overhang. Combine the flour, brown sugar, zucchini, carrot, walnut, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Whisk the oil and egg in a small bowl. Add to the flour mixture. Stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
Bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese and butter in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add icing sugar and lemon juice. Beat until well combined.
Place the cake on a serving plate. Top with cream cheese icing. Sprinkle with lemon zest and extra walnuts.