As we mark Gut Health Month in February, Coles’ Group Nutritionist Kim Tikellis offers tips and recipes to keep you healthy.
Fibre all the way for gut health
While we can’t see our gut, we certainly hear a lot about its importance for our health. Think about it as feeling better from the inside out. Health conditions linked to your gut and a low-fibre diet include constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, diverticulitis and bowel cancer. A healthy eating plan that’s high in fibre is a positive start to help keep your digestive system healthy.
Add dietary fibre
The top tip for a healthy gut is to enjoy foods high in dietary fibre, especially wholegrain cereals, fruits and vegetables, beans or legumes, and nuts. Seems easy enough, but in fact most Aussie adults don’t eat enough dietary fibre to achieve the 30 grams we need daily.
There are two types of dietary fibre, and both are beneficial to include in your daily diet:
- Soluble or digestible fibre, found in whole grain oats, fruit and veggies.
- Insoluble or undigested fibre, found in seeds, pips and nuts.
Simple ideas to help increase your daily fibre intake
- Enjoy breakfast cereals high in barley, whole grain wheat or oats
- Add mixed salad to your lunchtime sandwich
- Switch in wholemeal or multigrain bread and try brown rice
- Snack on fresh fruit, nuts and dried fruit, or wholemeal crackers topped with avocado
- Add an extra vegetable serve to your main meal
Did you know?
Regular physical exercise plus keeping up your fluids also supports gut health. Water is the best choice.
Kim Tikellis’ gut-loving recipes
1. Blueberry chia pots
Delicious for breakfast or a healthy dessert option.
2. Cauliflower and falafel salad bowl
Mix it up with this tasty vegetarian meal option.
3. Silverbeet, lentil and fetta salad with barramundi
Try this quick weeknight meal, ready in just 20 minutes.
4. Chicken, black bean and corn salad
This veggie packed, flavoursome salad is the perfect summer salad.
5. Baked sweet potato and prawn frittata
Boosted with veggies and topped with crunchy seeds, this easy meal will be put on high-rotation in your house.
6. Nutty banana loaf
Serve this guilt-free loaf with raspberries for the perfect sweet treat.