Apple and blue cheese pull-apart scones
Wrap chorizo sausage, sliced apple and blue cheese in wholemeal scone mix and you have a recipe for a delicious snack that is best served warm.
- 1 chorizo sausage, casing removed, finely chopped
- 150g soft blue cheese, chopped
- 2 tbs finely chopped chives
- ⅓ cup (35g) shredded mozzarella
- 4 cups (600g) wholemeal self-raising flour
- 2 cups (500ml) buttermilk
- 1 large Royal Gala apple, halved, cored, very thinly sliced
- Buttermilk, extra, to brush
Preheat oven to 200°C.
Place chorizo, blue cheese, chive and half the mozzarella in a medium bowl and stir until combined. Season.
Place flour, buttermilk and remaining mozzarella in a large bowl. Use a flat-bladed knife to stir until a soft dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until the dough just comes together. Divide into 2 equal portions. Roll out each portion on a lightly floured surface to a 20cm x 40cm rectangle. Cut each rectangle in half lengthways.
Spread 2 pieces of dough with blue cheese mixture. Arrange apple over blue cheese mixture. Top with remaining pieces of dough, pressing lightly to seal. Cut each piece of dough into 6 pieces.
Spray 12 holes of a ⅓-cup (80ml) muffin pan with olive oil spray. Place dough pieces, cut-side up, in the prepared muffin holes, twisting to fit (the dough will sit slightly higher than the pan). Brush with extra buttermilk. Bake for 20 mins or until golden brown and cooked through. Serve warm.