Ratatouille soup with cheese tortellini
Craving a bowl to beat the winter blues? This slow cooker soup does just the trick. Loaded with fresh veg and tortellini, it’s a wholesome family feed.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 eggplant, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 3 cups (750ml) vegetable stock
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 4 vine-ripened cherry tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 285g jar whole piquillo peppers, drained, coarsely chopped
- 200g cheese tortellini
- 2 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (60g) Tuscan Kale, or green kale, trimmed, leaves chopped
- 1/3 cups (90g) Coles Basil Pesto
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and eggplant. Cook, stirring, for 4 mins or until tender. Transfer to a slow cooker.
Add the herbs, tomato paste, stock, vinegar, sugar, tomato and peppers to the slow cooker. Season. Cover and cook for 2 hours on high (or 4 hours on low) or until the vegetables are tender.
Add the tortellini. Cook, covered, for 20 mins. Add the zucchini and kale and stir until combined and heated through.
Divide the soup among serving bowls. Top with pesto to serve.