Avocados are good for your heart, eye health and more, as Coles Group Nutritionist Kim Tikellis explains.
Health benefits of avocados
- Avocados are a fruit and, together with olives, are the only fruits to contain “good” monounsaturated fats beneficial for heart health.
- Creamy avocado is a heart-healthy choice: high in healthy, monounsaturated fats plus rich in essential mineral potassium.
- Avocados are fibre-rich: one medium 150g avocado provides one third of the daily fibre needs for Australian adults.
- Anti oxidant-rich avocados contain a quarter of daily vitamin E needs, plus, like most fruits and veggies, are a source of vitamin C.
- A 150g serve of avocado provides over two thirds of daily B-vitamin folate needs for energy and immunity.
- Like most colourful fruit and vegetables, avocado naturally contains plant pigments: green chlorophyll, orange carotenoids plus yellow lutein and zeaxanthin which help maintain eye health.
Use soft avocadoes to create a quick avocado dip, adding tomato chutney and lemon juice. Serve with veggie baton sticks and crunchy baby cucumbers as a healthy after-school snack for hungry kids.