Juicy peaches, nectarines, apricots and plums are rich in vitamins and antioxidants. Here are 10 fast facts and tips from Coles Group Manager of Nutrition and Health, Kim Tikellis.
The healthy benefits of stone fruit
15 Dec 2021
- Australia’s warm climate and hot, dry summers create sweet, juicy summer stone fruits.
- Peaches, nectarines, apricots and plums are all stone fruits, or drupes, which have a central pip or stone, containing the fruit seed, inside the soft fruit flesh.
- Stone fruits are delicious fresh, or can be lightly stewed or grilled, and added to cereals, salads, or proteins.
- It’s recommended you should enjoy two serves of fruit daily. A serve of fruit is 150g which equals one peach or one nectarine, five apricots or two plums.
- One serve of stone fruit (150g) provides 20-45% of your daily Vitamin C needs, to help support immunity.
- For a fragrant summertime treat serve stone fruit halves with Greek yoghurt, and top with pistachio nuts and a drizzle of honey.
- Apricots and plums both contain natural Vitamin E plus dietary fibre for digestive health.
- If you have ripe stone fruit, add the soft flesh to a berry smoothie to boost flavour and dietary fibre. You can also freeze the flesh to use as fruit puree for sorbets.
- To extend summer sunshine use peaches, plums, apricots and nectarines to make jam or chutney.
- Did you know? Peaches and apricots are different species of the rose family. Both fruits contain mineral potassium, plus natural antioxidants vitamin C and beta carotene for good health.