Gluten-free pistachio and rhubarb cake
Moist and flavoursome, this pistachio and rhubarb cake uses gluten-free ingredients for a coeliac-friendly treat.
Note: + Cooling time
- 185g pkt pistachios
- 9 Coles Australian Free Range Egg whites, lightly whisked
- 270g butter, melted
- 2 1/4 cup (360g) gluten-free icing sugar
- 1 cup (135g) gluten-free plain flour
- 2 tsp finely grated orange rind
- 6-8 rhubarb stems, trimmed, cut into 5cm lengths
- Gluten-free icing sugar, extra, to dust
- Double thick cream, to serve
Preheat oven to 160°C. Grease and line the base and side of a 20cm (base measurement) cake pan with baking paper.
Place the pistachios in a food processor or blender and blend or process until finely crushed.
Whisk the egg white, butter, crushed pistachio, icing sugar, sifted flour and orange rind in a large bowl. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Top with the rhubarb.
Bake, covering with foil if necessary to prevent overbrowning, for 1 3/4 hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 10 mins to cool before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Dust with the extra icing sugar and serve with cream.