Sausage penne boscaiola
Whip up this Italian-style dish for an easy weeknight dinner. With fast flavour from the sausages, it’s hearty and affordable comfort food.
- 300g penne
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, thinly sliced
- 500g Coles Finest Italian Style Pork Sausages, casings removed
- 200g brown mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2/3 cup (160ml) chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (125ml) pouring (pure) cream
- 2 tbs chopped oregano
- 120g green leaves (such as torn green kale, baby rocket or baby spinach)
Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water following packet directions or until al dente. Drain well.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring, for 1-2 mins or until onion softens. Add sausage and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up lumps, for 4-5 mins or until golden brown.
Add the mushroom and garlic to the sausage mixture. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 mins or until mushroom is tender. Add the stock and cream. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 mins or until reduced by half. Stir in the oregano. Season.
Add the pasta to the sauce with the green leaves. Toss to combine.